Google Trends and Display Advertising:
We’re here to share you a little advertising trick- how to utilize Google Trends and Display Advertising for more impressions.
Google Trends is a great tool- it shows how often a particular search term or topic is searched for in various regions of the world. This tool can help you get great insights on search volume and contains valuable search trend data that you can use for your marketing initiatives.
If you can identify online search trends you will be able to:
- Create content that focuses on search queries that you know will be trending
- Know when search queries drop and increase to help plan your marketing efforts
- Strategically leverage an increase in search activity
If you go on Google Trends you will be able to see trending search data showing the latest and most popular searches at a specific time.
For this specific day, the upcoming movie ‘Suicide Squad’ received 20,000+ searches and was top spot for the day. Taking this one step further, this article featured in ‘the Guardian’ (www.guardian.com) resulted in the most searches for this specific trend.
So, what can you do with this information and how can you strategically leverage an increase in search activity to your advantage? Extend your Display Advertisement in Googles Display Network to take advantage of the high spike in traffic, resulting in a greater reach for your advertisement. Choose the placement option for your display ad, set up the correct ad size that supports that website, and start appearing where your audience is looking.
As you can see in the above illustration, this company strategically leverages the high spike in traffic for that day and placed their display network advertisement on this popular page.
Another popular search trend for that day was ‘Snapchat’, with Instagrams new introduction with Instagram Stories, with the most related searches coming from thenextweb.com.
Once again, the same advertisement is seen on this website the same day too, taking advantage of the large spike in traffic on this website as well.
There are a lot of tools and strategies that marketers use to help them generate the best exposure for themselves and other businesses; this is just one example of the many types of strategies that can be executed.
If you’re going to use this strategy to generate impressions, there are some general rules that you should follow:
- Don’t Make your Advertisement too Visually Appealing– making your ad too visually appealing will increase your chances of clicks, but more clicks equal more $$$. If you have the big budget, go for it. However, sometimes we construct ads that are designed for generating impressions only, making the ad less appealing (or less informative), so that less people click on the ad. Utilizing this strategy can keep costs down, while also generating more impressions for brand recall.
- Focus on your Target Audience– the strategy above can be very good for generating high impressions, but sometimes it can reduce your conversions, which isn’t always a good thing. If you start appearing on websites where your target audience is not found, you may be throwing your dollars down the drain.
- Utilize Retargeting strategies with Display Advertisements– display advertisements work best when used in conjunction with retargeting strategies, making you more visible to people that are already familiar with your brand. This will keep costs down and also increase your chances of a conversion.
If you’re interested in working with Exposure Social, leave us your details and we will get back to you.